English ICTS conversations

• I'll have to agree with Tim. I am ashamed for the mentality. "I don't care for typo's, I'm just typing it like I would typ in Dutch." Nobody is going to take you seriously if you're speaking like a 12 year-old kid. I don't mean to offend you with this, so please don't take it too personal! ;)

We almost lost our AAA status, so I wouldn't brag about that.

Also I do realise that it is rather difficult for us 'dutchies' to speak English with a fluent accent. It's probably because of the way we speak Dutch, our dialect(*) is completely different. However with just trying and speaking you can improve this.

Last year I completed my cambridge exam with a B. Anyone else who did this exam?

* Tongval? I'm not sure if dialect is the correct word, so please correct me if I'm wrong about this.

• Guest, wil je besparen op je domeinnamen? (ad)
  • Hi,

CrimCity, sorry if my previous post might have offended you. I think that you implied a few things differently than from what I meant.

I love Holland. I'm proud of my country. I would never want to replace it with another country. In fact, I joined a British group of gamers to join UK's biggest gaming festival. The group has its own shirt. I ordered a shirt with my nickname on it and the text "Proud 2 be Dutch" in bright orange. I think you might now understand how much I love my country by just a bit :) But what I do not understand, how is the Triple A status related to this in any way? I wouldn't care if we had the lowest grade. It is only a grade. A grade is represantative but is not always matching reality.

However, when I see a Dutch person speaking English I often would like them to shut up because both their accent and their grammar are so bad.

And no, not being capable of speaking with a decent does not automaticly concludes into bad English. But that together with bad grammar and/or spelling does result into bad English.

The big difference between you and me with just text is simple. People in The Netherlands will tend to trust me more because my Dutch would be more correct than yours as you do not care about grammar or spelling. And internationaly people will also tend to trust me more for the same reason. If would see a website written by you, I would probably leave due to the fact that there was no care of writing properly. It is annoying to read such texts and it makes me not care about such persons.

I more have a feeling that you are the one being the ignorant, and not me ;) The markets are changing. English speakers are more and more wanted. ;)

Victor, yes, tongval could be written as dialect in English. However, I think you meant the way we pronounce (uitspreken) things. I partly agree with you on that, this because of;

From what I can tell we Dutch can easily learn and English and pronounce everything correctly after some practice. A lot of countries are unable to do so. For example English cannot pronounce our Dutch G.
    But on the opposite, compared to the rest of the world. We might have the most harsh language of them all. The tone we speak and the texts we use. A citizen from the United Kingdom might get offended when a Dutch person talks normaly.

Those are the reasons of why I both agree and disagree with your statement.

Yours sincerely,
    Tim

• Never mind, aint willing to continue into this discussion.

I do however think you two are wrong.
    But its fine, i've read enough to know whats the problem.

PS: google: "Proper use of yours sincerely".

Participate now!

Heb je nog geen account? Registreer je nu en word deel van onze community!